Serenity

Serenity
© 2008-2015 Southern Simplicity All Rights Reserved

Friday, October 17, 2008

Refreshing Waves of Memories


This post is dedicated to a very good friend of mine...


I'm sitting here tonight very calm, relaxed, and very much content. Today has been a good day and this weekend proves to be busy. My friend of 8 years is getting married tomorrow!! Another friend of mine of countless years got married this past Sunday! It was beautiful as I'm sure tomorrow will be, too!

Today has been part of my 4 day weekend and it has honestly been a very good day. I met with a very good friend for breakfast. We spent 2 1/2 hours talking like old times. A friend that I have grown up with since the 3rd or 4th grade; a friend that has always been more like my sister; a friend that I love dearly and respect. We share a multitude of the same dreams, thoughts, likes and dislikes--especially when it comes to music, books, and God. We were raised similarly, both home-schooled and brought up in church. Raised with Christian standards. Hers a little more strict than mine. A friend whom, as we have grown up into our young adult years, we have fallen slightly away--due to the paths of life we are living and to the fact that everything and everyone changes. We've both changed in many, many ways, and yet we are still so very much the same. I'm a married young woman with a house and a husband; she a single young woman going back to school and working. Two different paths of life. And yet, I believe deep down in my heart, that we are still two peas in a pod. You see, I say all that to tell you our story...


It began many many years ago. As said we were both home schooled and it was probably 3rd or 4th grade when we met. We remember two very different ways we met....one at the park during a home-school group meeting and two at her house for a Valentine's Day Tea. Either way I believe we became inseparable the very first time we met. Throughout our growing up years we did so much together. We were always at each others house (I think I was at hers more...LOL), we were in 4H together, rode horses together, shared a passion for reading which in turn meant we shared the latest books on our shelves. We had orthodontic appointments at the same time just so we could see each other. We wrote books of letters back and forth constantly. We dreamed big together, shared our most heartfelt secrets, played the piano (her better than I by a long shot :-)), and just loved life. We were kids. I went to her graduation with her, and a few years later she was my Maid of Honor. She started college and I finished my last 2 years of high school. I didn't get to see her a lot during the school year when college started. But I did go to many of her concerts and plays. She is so talented! And then, one fateful night, I/we made a foolish decision. All we wanted, or thought we wanted, was this one chance that was always held out of reach. It was a decision that separated us for a long time (not by our choice, though). Long enough for us to miss the most critical years of transition together. Long enough to make it a bit hard to pick up where we left off. But we did. We picked up the pieces and little by little the pieces are being placed again. Today was one of those pieces. I think we could have talked for hours again if our responsibilities hadn't beckoned. How much I miss those young, carefree days where we'd stay up till 4 in the morning; only to have to get up at 6. Days where we played in the woods or in the front yard with her cousins and brothers on the family's land. Nights where we'd lay in bed and dream out loud. Trips we'd take to many 4H events and other things we went to. I remember all those years! I always felt like I was part of her family, not just a friend. I was so blessed to have grown up with her. I am so blessed to have her as one of my dearest friends. So my Friend, as you read this you know who you are...you were my best friend growing up, the twin sister I never had. You will always hold that special place in my heart, no matter where we live or what we do. I believe we'll always have each other to fall back, to come home to. Please know that I love you dearly and will always be here for you no matter what! Faithful Friends Forever Be, Here and through all Eternity!! I love you~~Numbers 6:24-26 & Jeremiah 29:11~~ God be with you, dearest sister!~~

~JR~

No comments:

Post a Comment