Coconut oil has recently become a Natural Mom’s favorite natural product! It has countless uses in the home, for your health, and will replace many expensive products! Coconut oil is very affordable and available at your local grocery store! The best type to use is Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. You do not want to use hydrogenated coconut oil.
Here are several of my favorite uses for coconut oil:
- Use coconut oil as sunscreen for the whole family.
- Some sunscreens can actually cause skin cancer cells to grow.
- Sunscreens are full of chemicals and can actually block much needed Vitamin D rays!
- Coconut oil cleanses the blood when used topically!
- Coconut oil is a natural anti-oxidant (prevents wrinkles).
- Use as a skin moisturizer.
- Use as makeup remover.
o Simply use a tiny bit on your fingertips, massage into your skin (or gently wipe your eyes), and rinse off. Also works great as a cleanser.
- Deep conditioner for hair.
o Coat your hair, wrap in shower cap or plastic wrap, let it sit overnight, and wash out in the morning!
- Use as a natural remedy for Eczema.
- Mix with eucalyptus oil for homemade vapor-rub.
- Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to coconut oil and rub into chest.
- Also good to rub into the bottoms of feet and put socks on. Will help control/get rid of coughing.
- Use it to help soothe chicken pox, shingles, or other rashes or skin irritations.
- Soothe & heal sunburned skin, bee stings, & bug bites.
- Use as a natural remedy for dandruff.
o Coconut oil has natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, and is naturally moisturizing.
- Use to clear up cold sores on your lips!
- Begin applying as soon as the sore is noticed!
- Improve digestive disorders by taking a spoonful before each meal!
- Use for your baby's diaper rash cream.
o Coconut oil provides a natural relief for baby's bum.
o Coconut oil is cloth diaper safe!
- Use for your baby’s lotion instead of traditional baby creams.
- Use to relieve cradle cap on your little one.
o Gently rub into your baby's scalp, use a baby brush or comb to gently clean off the dead skin, and finish by taking a warm washcloth over baby's head.
- Use as a stretch mark cream.
o Help prevent stretch marks during pregnancy.
- If nursing, use coconut oil on your nipples to prevent cracking and irritation.
- Consuming coconut oil while nursing will help increase your milk flow.
- Use to season cast iron pans.
o Wash cast iron in hot water; dry over warm burner; apply small amount of coconut oil to pan; place in warm oven (or over warm burner) allowing oil to melt into pan.
- Use as furniture polish.
o Mix with a dash of lemon juice for an inexpensive furniture polish that smells delightful!
(This article originally seen here.)